Thursday 26 July 2007

The Fish Talks And Doesn't Know What Pot Odds Are.....

Playing cash tables of 10c/25c, i was not playing that well, but i was still in profit. I come across a little fishy called '3factor', i raise the button with K4spades, and he takes his time and min raises me, i call for value and the board come something like 8-9-9 with 2 spades, he pushes for only $2 more in a $5 pot, i know im (jess=cool) beat and that he probably has AA or KK but i call for pot odds and hit the flush on the river, he shows AA and i told him 'i know' lol. We had about a 20 minute discussion on the subject because he is such a bad loser. He kept goin on about 'you knew you were behind but you called anyway, how good are you?' and all the other fishy talk.

Well i put it to him by explaining pot odds but the little fishy brain popped, sorry man, too much to take in a guess. Well for any fish reading this like this AA sore thumb, here are a lesson in pot odds and calculating:

A Lesson In Calculating odds:

I am goin to use the example of my hand with AA.

two rules: x2 and x4

hands: AA vs K4 spades

flop: 8-9-9 two spades

K4 outs: 2s, 3s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 10s, Js, Qs, =8 outs.

where rules come in, to calculate odds of hitting on the turn, you multply your outs my 2 (because of roughly 50 cards in deck) so 8x2=16%

Hitting by the river is mutliplied by 4 becuase of of double the chance of hitting, so..8x4 =32%.

I was 32% to win the pot. Now i couldnt call if my pot odds were not allowing me to, this is how to calculate pot odds:

A Lesson In Pot Odds And How To Calculate Them:

Now im not a genius at this but here are the basics:

pot =$5

he bets $2 so pot is $7 and im 32% to win the pot

He is asking me to put $2 into a $7 pot which will make it $9, so my pot odds are 7/2,

100% divided by 7 = near 14%.......14x2 =28%

this means to call and for it to be correct, i need to be at least 28% to win the pot, which i was so it was the correct call.

So fishy, before you have a go at me for hitting a draw just think what pot odds i was getting, thankyou.

Hope you all learned somethng.

4 comments:

BK = AK said...

One correction is that your pot odds calculation is 2/7 because you are committing 2 to win 7 (the existing pot before your bet)...but that means you have to commit 28% to win 32% of the time. You had pot odds, but just barely.

portdeco20 said...

ok thanks, i will change it now, i did mention im a bit rusty =D

Anonymous said...

bk is corect. What I want to know, is why you are teaching the fish????

Just take what they say with a pinch of salt, don't make them a better player!!!!!! :o)

ATB

BM

portdeco20 said...

I just tols him a i was getting pot odds and he didnt really understand lol. I didnt teach him as such and i dont think any fish read my blog.